Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Reminiscing: Domaine Weinbach

Over Thanksgiving a friend and I enjoyed this Domaine Weinbach Pinot Gris, which I had gotten while visiting France in September.  Not only was the wine perfection (dry and minerally), it reminded me of the visit I made to the Domaine while in France this September with my lovely friend Monika.


Before being acquired by the Faller brothers in 1898, Weinbach had been run by Capuchin monks since 1612.  The domaine (located in Alsace, northeast France near the border of Germany) was passed down to Theo Faller and now resides in the hands of Theo's wife, Colette, and her two daughters.  Monika and I were lucky enough to sit down with one of the daughters, Catherine, for a few hours.  It was quite a visit! (you can read all the Weinbach visit and our other exploits here.) 

Catherine and I

That hillside is the "Schlossberg" area (where the best grapes come from!)

If you're into Riesling, Pinot Gris and the like, I highly suggest seeking out some Domaine Weinbach (or Alsacean wines in general).  It's not the cheapest stuff out there but it's quite heavenly.  Generally the wine is going to be drier than the German Rieslings that you may be used to.  So maybe save it for some seafood rather than slamming it next Saturday night ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment